New beginnings and other obligatory cheesiness

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

First post! How exciting!

I know, I know, this is supposed to be a make up blog so I shouldn't be hiding my face behind my hair. (Even worse: I'm not even wearing any make up in that photo! Oops.) Point is that I am still working on the layout, which annoyingly requires every post to contain images for it to work properly, and this was the first proper selfie I could find. And yes, you can absolutely read that as 'picture I use for all my social media'. Oops again.

So yeah, art blog. Make up blog. Whatever-I-want blog. After spending years on Tumblr, I figured it was time to find a more 'grown-up' platform for my ramblings. There's definitely a learning curve to blogspot, especially when it comes to making it look decent, so please tell me if there's any bugs or broken things. Some of these pre-made templates have ridiculously messy coding...

 I got bit by the indie bug a couple of weeks ago, when I came across the wonderful ladies at /r/indiemakeupandmore. I've always been into make up, but most of the big brands are either impossible to find (looking at you, Lorac and Urban Decay) or ridiculously expensive (be ashamed, MAC, be very ashamed) here so my collection is rather small. Drugstore make up has served me perfectly so far, as my go-to look is usually a no-make up look with some variation of winged eyeliner. A holiday to Rome and a visit to Sephora reintroduced me to eye shadow (Story time: my first venture into the land of make up was actually this gorgeous, high end eyeshadow my aunt gave me when I was about nine. It was the prettiest pinkish/reddish brown and I am still looking for a dupe. I swore off eye shadow completely after some horrendous attempts at smokey eyes when I was twelve, thinking it wasn't for me. It was, I just had no idea how to use it or which colours to use.) and I've been obsessed with it ever since. Right now I am waiting for three different indie orders to arrive, so I can start swatching and reviewing them. This blog will document my indie journey as well as serve as an online database for my collection. If there's anything I've learned from my time lurking on IMAM, it's really easy to forget what you already own and end up with five identical-looking greens (all of which are totally different if you look closely).

While indies are a new addiction, my main drug of choice is coloured pencils. I wouldn't call myself an artist per say, but I massively enjoy drawing (even if I don't nearly do it enough). I bought my first set of coloured pencils in the summer of 2013 and soon decided that I loved working with them and that only 18 colours wasn't nearly enough. A set of 150 Prismacolor Premiere's soon followed, to be joined by a set of 120 Faber Castell Polychromos a couple of months ago. I will be posting WIP's and finished artworks, but be warned that I am an extremely slow drawer since I can only draw during the weekends when I'm visiting my parents.

Shit, no one told me legit blogging was so hard. How does one end a post in a non-contrived way? How does one not sound like a sarcastic asshole (which I totally am, sorry)? How does one not curse? I guess I'm just going to have to get back to you later about all these questions.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Subscribe