Review: random Femme Fatale shadows part one

Friday, November 20, 2015

Femme Fatale swatches

I'm alive! Unemployed, job hunting, and completely broke, but alive nonetheless. It's been a while since my last post and a lot has happened since then: I wrote a 15.000 word long dissertation, did an internship at the biggest literary agency in the country, finished my MA degree and spent three weeks in France with my parents. Needless to say that I was plenty busy, especially since I spent what little free time I had reading and drawing. Now that I've graduated and haven't found a job yet, I have ample time to bring back this blog. You might have noticed that I gave it a bit of a facelift, too!

My goal is to eventually swatch and blog about my entire collection, and so this post is mostly a round up of swatches I did months ago but never had the time to edit. Some of the Femme Fatale shadows have since been discontinued, but I'm including them anyway because they are pretty and glittery. My to-swatch list is humongous, but unfortunately the sun hasn't really shown itself in weeks. Expect swatches of Femme Fatale's new Halloween collection the second it stops being dreary and overcast!

Prices: Sophie recently had to increase her prices due to the low Australian Dollar. Mini's (3g jars with sifter) are now 4.50 AUD and full sizes (5g jars with sifter) are 7.50 AUD. At 17 AUD (including insurance), international shipping is rather pricey, but it is definitely worth it. 

TAT: Their current TAT is 5-15 business days, beginning the following business day from order placement. It's been ages since I ordered these, but Femme Fatale orders usually take about a week to get to me in the Netherlands after they've been shipped.

These swatches were done over Fyrinnae's Pixie Epoxy. They are loose powders and need a good primer or a sticky base to work properly.


Femme Fatale Flowers From Flames swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A mid-tone tangerine orange with soft rust-orange undertones, and has a bright green shimmer with soft aqua sparks."

My verdict: This is so bright and wonderful! I am Dutch so it's kind of obligatory for me to love the colour orange, but orange shadows are totally my jam. It's extremely vibrant, with a similarly vibrant green shift that makes this the perfect summer colour. I used it as eye liner a lot when I was in France. It doesn't really need PE for the shift to show up, a normal primer will do the trick.

Femme Fatale Alpine Skies swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A super pale taupe with cool tones and prominent turquoise shimmer."

My verdict: Alpine Skies is one of those Femme Fatale shades that you just have to have simply because it is so extremely unique. I always pair it with a purple, brown or orange to warm it up as it's a little too cool for me, but it's so lovely and shimmery. It actually looks amazing with Femme Fatale Moodring. It applies wonderfully and has quite a strong shift even over normal primer.

Femme Fatale Efflorescence swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A light orchid purple with violet tones, and has a lovely soft green shimmer."

My verdict: This kind of pinkish purple really isn't my colour, but this is definitely one of my favourite shadows to pull out and look at. It's quite ethereal in its soft sparkliness, with a lovely green shift that shows up even over normal primer. It makes for a great highlight.

Femme Fatale The Wayward Prince swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A mauve-rose base with strong bronze-gold overlay."

My verdict: This might be my absolute favourite Femme Fatale shadow - and I'm not alone in this. Originally a COTM, this was made part of the general catalogue due to popular demand. Its golden overlay really comes out over PE, but I actually prefer this one over just primer. The mauve base with the soft golden shift is the perfect everyday colour, especially with a lighter golden highlight. I'm planning on reswatching this to show the difference between PE and normal primer. 

Femme Fatale Spirit Bond swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A deep midnight blue with strong purple undertones and a shimmery golden finish."

My verdict: When editing these photo's, I was surprised to find that Spirit Bond wasn't part of the discontinued shadows. It's not a bad shadow at all, but as you can see it was quite patchy over PE. It might just be the fact that it has such a dark base, since those are always a little tricky to use. I love using this as an eye liner, though, since the slight patchiness isn't a problem at all when you foil it or mix it with Darling Girl Superstar Serum.

Femme Fatale Starcaller swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A light periwinkle blue highlighted by a pinkish red shimmer, with violet and red sparkles. The pinkish red shimmer and sparkles really pop out in direct sunlight. DISCONTINUED!"

My verdict: Another one I love to look at but barely ever use because it's simply not my colour. The periwinkle base is lovely yet slightly chalky-looking on me, but it needs some sunlight to truly shine. This was discontinued, but it might still be worth it to look for it in destashes because it looks great on people with cooler colourings.

Femme Fatale Planeshift swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A blend of pale jungle green and teal with slight grey tones, and striking golden shimmer."

My verdict: This is the slightly greyer sister of Hello Waffle's Archean Earth. It's very smooth and pigmented, and has a wonderful golden shift that comes out over normal primer as well. It's such a mermaid-y colour that works really well with golds and browns, but also with blues such as The Girl Who Cried Monster.

Femme Fatale Swamplord swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A rich mossy green with strong yellow tones and bold yellow/green shimmer. DISCONTINUED!"

My verdict: I was so sad to hear that Swamplord had been discontinued, because it is one of my favourite shadows to use as a liner. It's such a rich green and the golden shift is quite strong. It was obviously discontinued due to patchiness problems, but I really do hope that they'll really a version 2.0 soon. 


Femme Fatale Watery Grave swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A muddied teal with grey-blue tones and strong pink-red overlay."

My verdict: This was quite hard to photograph. The red shift is less apparent than it seems in these photo's as it pulls a lot more purple in real life. It's a little too cool for me, but it's a great colour for the outer V. Seeing it swatched next to Cake made me realise that I need to use those two shadows together in a look.


Femme Fatale Cake swatch

Femme Fatale's description: "A sparkly ivory with slight golden shimmer, delicate and pretty!"

My verdict: Cake is one of my favourite highlighters. It is soft, pigmented and blends like a dream. It's not very spectacular, but it's definitely a must-have when it comes to Femme Fatale. Looks wonderful with Time Lost and Wizards Only, Fools.


Femme Fatale swatches


You can buy Femme Fatale's shadows here. Shiro Cosmetics also stocks Femme Fatale but keep in mind that they only stock full sizes! Stay tuned for more Femme Fatale swatches, as I'm planning on swatching my entire (and quite extensive) collection.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Subscribe